GOLDENDALE TO LYLE
A road trip with wineries, breweries, exotic animals and baklava.
- From The Dalles, OR -head East on I84 for 30 minutes to exit 104 (Biggs Junction) and cross the Sam Hill Memorial bridge into Washington State.
- Your first stop is just on the other side of the bridge at the Maryhill Fruit Stand where you can find picnic-makings to enjoy nearby at Maryhill State Park. Mary Hill was the wife of Sam HIll who helped to build the historic highway and many other interesting projects in this area.
- Before leaving the park, stop by Gunkel Orchards & Fruit Stand and Waving Tree Winery run by the brother of the owner of the Maryhill Fruit Stand for delights to take on your adventure.
- Next stop is the Stonehenge Memorial (an almost exact replica!) that sits on the bluffs overlooking the river. Go East on Hwy 14 about ¼ a mile to the entrance road.
- Head up the hill on Hwy 97 into Goldendale – with its rural charm and good eats, you won’t want to miss it! First stop for veggies and high quality meats at Lefever-Holbrook Ranch, then stop by the tasting room at Dwinell Country Ales with their fruit focused ales and seasonal flavors like peach, blackberry, and dark cherry.
- If you want a true treat, head a little further North to St. John’s Monastery and Bakery for what is claimed to be some of the best baklava and coffee in the whole tri-state area.
- Coming back to the Washington Highway, you can stop by Louie Cafe at the Maryhill Museum while wandering the gorgeous grounds. Enjoy local smoked salmon sandwiches and salads!
- Just a bit down the road is the Maryhill Winery with a gorgeous view of the vineyard from their patio.
- On Hwy 14, just past the Dalles Bridge turn, stop by Schreiner Farms, a free drive-through collection of exoctic animals A to Z! If the gates are open, you see buffalo, giraffe, reindeer and more. Please stay in your vehicle.
- More wineries await just past Lyle up Hwy 8 including COR Cellars, Syncline Winery and Klickitat Canyon. All with delightfully unique tasting rooms and world class views.
- End your journey at French’s Farm, for homemade ice cream!